History of Squash
|HISTORY OF THE SQUASH RACKETS ASSOCIATION
The Squash Rackets Association was founded in 1928 to take over the administration of the game in Britain from the Tennis and Rackets Association. It was the recognised world authority for squash until the formation in 1967 of the International Squash Rackets Federation (now called the World Squash Federation). In 1928 the SRA had a membership of just 25 clubs which compares with over 2,500 today and an individual membership of over 5,000.
The formation of The Women's Squash Rackets Association in 1934, brought into being the two bodies that represented the game in Britain until 1980, when the responsibility for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales was devolved to autonomous national associations. In 1989, after pressure from the English Sports Council, the men's and women's associations were amalgamated into one body under the title of the Squash Rackets Association and this body currently serves the interests of all men and women squash enthusiasts in England.
The SRA consists of 38 County Associations and Clubs who subscribe to the Association on behalf of their members and individual members. SRA policy is determined by a broadly-based Council which includes representatives from each County Association and it is this Council who elects an Executive Committee of 9 people. It is this body and various sub-committees which translates Council policy into Executive action via the SRA secretariat which is headed by a Chief Executive. The secretariat operates in accordance with Executive Committee instructions under the control of the Chief Executive.